As subscribers to the Alexian Brothers values of Holism, Compassion, Dignity of the Person, and Partnership, we aspire to the vision of creating a community where bullying and self-harm are not only devalued, but also not tolerated. We join with fellow community change-agents to advocate for the following research-based goals:
1. To de-stigmatize the request for help in situations where bullying, depression, suicidal thinking, or other mental health concerns occur.
2. To decrease access to potentially dangerous means to harm oneself or others (including weapons in schools, internet programs used for bullying, unsafe railroad crossings, access to potentially lethal over-the-counter medications, etc.).
3. To support the training of “upstanders” – that is, teaching our community to “take a stand”, “make a difference”, empathize with the struggles and despair of others and be proactive; and
4. To foster a healthy community by:
- Providing education about the role and responsibility of the community in our lives;
- Increasing awareness of how we each participate in perpetuating bullying and the stigmatizing of mental health issues; and
- Understanding how our negative actions impact others.
- Respect is a universal right